Thursday, December 10, 2009

I had not been fishing for 23 years.




In 1972, I had the great benefit of being initiated into an Eastern Meditation Path. Along
with the initiation, I took several vows (vows of poverty, my friends joke). Among those vows were the vow of being a vegetarian, and the vow of Ahimsa ( no thought word or deed of harm to others).

So, I had not been eating fish. When I became Disabled, and it became difficult for me to prepare all my vegetarian meals, I began to eat fish again.

My friend Tom took me out onto a Fishing boat charter on Lake Ontario, along with Pat and Eric. At first, I was not going to fish, just use my license to let them each catch extra, but they talked me into it!

It was early, just after sunbreak when the boat left the dock. The boat had a fish finder, and a very interesting Captain. Eric was practically a professional Fisherman!

I sat on the floor of the back of the boat and did some Yoga, and hummed a few Bhajans as we headed out to the deeper colder waters.

I had already caught the largest Salmon of the day, though I needed assistance bringing the fish in, and it was my turn again! I hooked a fighter! the Captain and Tom took turns helping me to bring the Salmon in!

I had Chronic Fatique Syndrome and Fibromyalgia among other things, so I did not have the strength and stamina to do this!

We were about to net the fish, and it managed to take off again! Another struggle, and we had it. 20 pounds!

I caught the two largest fish that day, and we shared all of it! I found out later that Pat had accused me of 'calling the fish to me' with my Yoga and Bhajans. I like to think that it is my Native American inheritance, and my DA, Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment