Monday, December 7, 2009

Spinning Wheel makers, Endangered Species!


Gilbert with my Robin

We're familiar with the little girls that bring their dolls to the doll hospital, well I just brought my precious spinning wheel to it's maker!

My wheel did not handle being in storage very well, the heat, humidity, and then the cold left it out of alignment!

I drove to Maine to Gilbert Gonsalves' Workshop. He adjusted it for me, and I got to ogle the newest finished products. Gilbert makes the wonderful Robin Wheels, and the Lilly Spindles.

Gilbert shared with me the current challenges which may result in his going out of business! God, do not let this happen!

Gilbert uses brass, which has increased in cost (doubled and tripled), and delrin plastic, which has tripled in price! These parts are tied to the increase in petroleum prices! Gilbert held back from raising his prices for these past several years. Now, he has to! He is not making a living wage, and cannot order any more wood to continue!

The real dismal part of this, apart from how good Gilbert is at making wheels, and that he loves doing it, is that Gilbert is one of only two people (the other is Norm Hall) in the United States that hand make quality Spinning Wheels! Gilbert has been doing this skilled work for app. 13 years.
Gilbert's wheels are precision! He was a nautical engineer. In his workshop, is a second workshop where he fabricates or adapts the tools he uses to make or assemble and adjust the wheels.

Gilbert's wheels are beautiful! Mine is Pennsylvania Cherry with the Sunrise pattern on the treadles.
Each time I bring the wheel to Gilbert, he, himself, remarks at how beautiful it is. My Robin is 8 or 9 years old! The wood has a deep richness of color! The Sunrise pattern really stands out, and glows! It spins divinely! (above, right) Gilbert demonstrates how the 'key' in the brass locks the pieces together.
Lilly Spindle

I have ideas...could Gilbert receive money from Smithsonian, or from Fine Woodworking, or for a documentary on the precision handmaking of wheels? Any ideas...? Let's preserve this fine craft!

We as spinners value fine handiwork!















No comments:

Post a Comment